Friday 6 April 2012

REVIEW - Ember by Madison Daniel

Title: Ember
Author: Madison Daniel
Series: Ember #1
Release date: March 16th 2012
Genres: YA Paranormal Romance
Links: Goodreads / Amazon
Source: Bought ebook

Summary:
Love never dies...but it can kill.

Ember is the story of Max Valentine, a teenager with secret abilities and many inner demons. His life revolves around music and his love for it. When his father dies he seeks answers with his last living relative, his fathers brother Frank. Frank lives on the island of Maui and eagerly takes Max in as his own. Max soon learns that healing his past will be more difficult than he could have ever believed. Two major complications will tempt and torment him as he tries to make sense of his abilities.

The first temptation comes in the form of a mysterious island girl. Asia Lyn Michaels is rich, spoiled, angry and beautiful. Her path crosses with Max on the beach one afternoon, forever changing both of their lives. Max saves her life and she discovers his secret. From that moment on they are connected, no matter how much they fight it.

The second temptation will test Max’s very soul. Samantha Ann Summers is sweet, artistic, smart and confident. She will help Max find his smile again and maybe even heal his past mistakes. She is possibly his soul mate and Max will fight that with every fiber of his being.

Max’s temper and indecision with the girls will send in motion events that will cost him dearly. He will test the limits of his powers and the new relationship with his protective uncle. He will gain a powerful love and lose another.




2.5/5

I'm really sorry to say that I didn't like this as much as I thought I would. This book had so much potential but sadly it didn't live up to it. The concept of the story was original and different and I had wanted to read this book from the moment I heard about it. 

Max annoyed me throughout the book. How the hell could he string along both girls for so long? He just came off as a jerk to me. He sleeps with one, says he loves her (after only knowing her for a short time) and yet is kissing another girl at the same time and nearly sleeps with her too! I'm sorry but what the hell?! He says he loves both girls after knowing them for like a week (I'm really starting to dislike insta-love stories). Sam seems like a really sweet girl and I can see why someone would be in love with her but she came across a little naive. Why would you continue chasing a guy if he was clearly going out with someone else? You're just leaving yourself open for getting hurt. Asia on the other hand I did not like. She was a real bitch and I just didn't see what Max saw in her. I know they had this connection after he healed her but to me it just seemed like Max liked her mainly cause she was hot (no pun intended). 
Another thing I didn't get was the POV. The story is told in first person from Max's POV yet we know what's happening from Sam/Asia's POV. How is that possible? It didn't make sense and kind of disturbed the flow of writing. 

I know I sound like I hated this book but I did enjoy the story concept and the fight scenes were good. It has the potential to be a great series but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I know a lot of people loved it and that just goes to show that everyones tastes are different. I will probably read the next book as I want to see where the story leads. From the way Ember ended I kind of have an idea about what is to come.

I don't want to put anyone off reading this book. Everyones opinions are they own so I encourage you to make your own regarding this book.




1 comment :

  1. I really like the cover, i like the fire surrounding their wrists. I hate instant love connections and force love triangles story lines. They just never work.

    From your review, I already don't like Max so I probably won't pick it up anytime soon. What's the point of reading a book where you already dislike the main character? lol

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing what you guys have to say so why not leave us a comment :) Thanks for stopping by!